Chairperson of Portfolio Committee on Higher Education, Science and Technology
Parliament of the Republic of South Africa
PO Box 15
Dear Ms Mkhatshwa
Mangosuthu University of Technology: release of Staak-report
1. I have been approached for assistance in the matter of the release of the report of the independent assessor, Professor Anthony Staak, whom Higher Education Minister, Dr Blade Nzimande, appointed to probe into the source and nature of the problems, and measures required to restore good governance at the Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT).
2. I find it interesting that Dr Nzimande instituted yet another investigation, this after the adverse findings of the 2018 “” by Professor Barney Pityana and Ms Judith FaviReport of the independent assessor into the state of affairs of Mangosuthu University of Technologysh.
3. The Pityana Report had made various strategic findings and recommendations to right the MUT-ship, none of which had allegedly been heeded and/or implemented; including that serious consideration must be given to the disbandment of the MUT council.
4. The purpose of this letter, however, is to ask the Portfolio Committee on Higher Education, Science and Technology to look into the matter of the Minister reneging on the requirement of publishing Professor Staak’s report within a ninety-day period as mandated by the Higher Education Act and so confirmed by departmental spokesperson Ishmael Mnisi.
5. I understand the ninety-day period lapsed on 14 February 2022 and various stakeholders are anxious to have access to Professor Staak’s findings and recommendations, and are suspicious of the delay the release of the report.
6. I herewith request the urgent Committee’s intervention in the matter.
Mr Bantu Holomisa, MP
President of the United Democratic Movement