Acting Chief Justice Raymond Zondo
Constitutional Court of South Africa
Private Bag X1
Dear Acting Chief Justice Zondo
Urgent plea that the judgement on the IEC’s application seeking the postponement of the 2021 local government elections be urgently announced
1. As we are all keenly aware, on the evening of 20 August 2021, the Constitutional Court reserved judgment on the Independent Electoral Commission’s (IEC’s) application seeking the postponement of the 2021 local government elections (LGE) to February next year.
2. In the meantime, the IEC has had to press on as if the LGE are to take place on 27 October 2021 and we, as political parties, have had to do the same, despite the possibility that it might not.
3. This is unfortunately causing tremendous stress (financial and otherwise) because, as time lapses, we must invest time and money into our campaigns that might go to waste if elections are postponed. In addition, a simple thing, such as producing and ordering our manifestoes, posters, and other printed material becomes critical, especially due to the scarcity of resources amidst the Covid-19 pandemic.
4. I am sure this is also true for the IEC as well, as their timetable and planning turn on a dime, and time is of the essence.
5. I therefore plead with you that the judgement be made public as soon as possible.
Mr Bantu Holomisa, MP
President of the United Democratic Movement
Copied to: Mr Sy Mamabolo, Chief Electoral Officer of the Independent Electoral Commission
Mr Nqabayomzi Kwankwa, MP and UDM Deputy-President
Mr Bongani Msomi, UDM Secretary General and NPLC member
Ms Thandi Nontenja, UDM National Treasurer and NPLC member