Mr Mkhuleko Hlengwa, MP
Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Public Accounts
PO Box 15
Dear Honourable Hlengwa
Follow-up on Scopa’s undertaking to develop a framework that would guide investigations into allegations of corruption at the Development Bank of Southern Africa
1. I hope this letter finds you and the committee members of the Standing Committee on Public Accounts (Scopa) in good health and spirit during this still precarious time of the Covid-19 pandemic in South Africa.
2. I write to you to follow-up on Scopa’s undertaking to develop an investigative framework after my briefing on Wednesday, 18 November 2020 on allegations of maladministration, mismanagement, and corruption at the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA).
3. In a press release on the same day, Scopa had indicated that it would “…begin a process of giving the parties that are cited in these allegations an opportunity to respond. Scopa will develop a proposal and an operational framework that will guide the direction of this process. The committee will also listen to all role players who can assist in this process.”
4. I would therefore like to enquire whether the committee has made any progress in terms of:
4.1. Receiving responses from the parties cited in the allegations who might have responded at this point in time of the process, and I would like to enquire how this would feed into the larger investigation?
4.2. Developing a proposal and operational framework to guide the direction of the investigation, what the timeframes of the investigation would be, and when a draft of the framework might be available for scrutiny and possible input?
4.3. Identifying which role players would assist the committee in its work, what form this assistance would take, and when they would be informed of the need to appear before the committee.
5. I trust that some progress has been made in terms of the abovementioned matters and I wish to also establish exactly when the committee intends to start with its hearings on the DBSA matter.
6. I hope to receive a response from your good office soonest possible.
Mr Bantu Holomisa, MP
President of the United Democratic Movement