2. Further to the information imparted in that letter, I wish to bring to your attention allegations that the Accounting Authority and Minister Nzimande are not interested in safeguarding the interest of Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services SETA (merSETA). I attach the message of concern I received for greater context.
3. According to the message, the merSETA Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Mr Wayne Adams, was suspended in December 2022 for serious misconduct. I understand that an investigation was conducted, and serious corruption findings were established, and the report was issued on 2 May 2023.
4. The Accounting Authority, led by Ms Kate Moloto and Minister Nzimande have had this report for almost six months and have done nothing with it.
5. According to the message I received, “one of the findings is about the R48 000 000,00 which the COO Ms Sebolelo Nomvete has been found to have aided this entity to apply, she chaired management committee to approve the grant award to this entity, she sogned the contract of this entity when she doesn’t have the authority to enter into contractual agreement on behalf of merSETA.” Ms Nomvete is apparently undergoing a disciplinary hearing, over which there are some serious questions (see the attachment for more details).
6. Given Minister Nzimande’s alleged shenanigans in terms of the merSETA’s appointment of the interim CEO, as explained in my 8 October 2023-letter, and all the other matters I have raised with you in the past, it is clear that all is not well at the Department of Higher Education and Training.
7. I, again, reiterate the United Democratic Movement’s position that we will persist in raising issues of national importance with you, in line with your cause to rid government of corruption.
Mr Bantu Holomisa, MP
President of the United Democratic Movement