Motion without notice in the National Assembly on 11 September 2014 by ML Filtane, MP
Motion without notice on the incident which unfolded at the Umtata High Court yesterday, 10 September 2014
I hereby move, on behalf of the Chief Whip of the United Democratic Movement (UDM) move without notice, that the house;
(1) Notes the incident which unfolded at the Mthatha High Court yesterday where two dangerous suspects died on the scene and one official was reported wounded, following a fierce exchange of gunfire with members of the National Intervention Unit (NIU – police), and correctional services officers (DC).
(2) The two suspects; Sakhumzi Mvoko (30) and Yandisa Bila 32, jointly faced 17 counts of murder, armed robbery and rape.
(3) They had allegedly terrorised the former Transkei area for many years.
(4) Further Notes that, one suspect accessed a fire arm from a dustbin situated within the precinct of a court of law, thus raising serious questions about the state of safety of our justice officials and institutions.
(5) Notes that in December 2013, two police officers were stabbed at the same Mthatha High Court by prisoners.
(6) Further wish the injured officer a speedy recovery and hope that the investigation into the person who hid the fire arm in the dustbin could be concluded speedily with consequences.
(7) The house commends the NIU and DCS officers for the swift reaction to a potentially disastrous situation.