UDM welcomes, Ms Sindi Mashinini-Maphumulo, former NFP deputy-president, to the fold
Address by Mr BH Holomisa, MP and UDM President in welcoming of new members to the United Democratic Movement on 1 February 2019 in Durban
• UDM leadership, and
• Most importantly, our guests;
• Members of the UDM
Your joining the United Democratic Movement (UDM) is a vital step to realise our dream for the socio-economic development of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).
As KZN has the second largest number of voters, this presents the best opportunity for the people of this province to shape their future through participation in the political environment, government and legislative processes.
This province accurately reflects the socio-economic challenges our country faces today.
On the 18th of January, thousands of unemployed nurses marched to the provincial department of health demanding jobs to fill the 40,000 vacancies in South Africa.
To make matters worse, the eThekwini Municipality has fruitlessly and wastefully spent your money to the tune of no less than R29 million. On top of this, the same municipality has failed to take reasonable steps to prevent irregular expenditure that amounted to more than R700 million as the auditor general has found.
We welcome you into the fold, and together we must immediately start work towards achieving the following goals:
1. Step-up the ongoing campaign to remove the looters who continue to steal from you through Bosasa, the Guptas, VBS Bank and others to come.
2. We must enter every door in this province and explain to the more than five million voters why they must vote UDM in the next election.
3. We must go out and create hope for the people of KZN and convince them that the UDM is the only party that can uplift them from the misery the governing thieves have dumped them into.
4. On 16 February, you will be in Port Elizabeth with your fellow members to launch the UDM manifesto. This is where we will together present the UDM’s solutions to South African problems.
5. Spread the word of the UDM manifesto and get people to watch the launch on television if they are unable attend. Let us make the 16th of February the UDM’s day for all households to come together and identify with the bright future we promote.
The UDM has made a significant contribution in shaping the direction that the country should take, and with you joining these efforts, we can fulfil our dream of a winning nation. With you, we are certain of realising a country that is free from looters, thieves and corruption.
You have made the right decision to be associated with a party that our first secretary general, Sifiso Nkabinde, who hailed from this beautiful green province, strongly believed in. You are creating hope for the nation; you represent the good that South Africa is.